Serial killer died from head injuries; Ohio inmate suspected

This photo provided by the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction shows Donald Harvey, a serial killer who became known as the "Angel of Death." Harvey, who was serving multiple life sentences, was found beaten in his cell Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at the state's prison in Toledo, state officials said. He died Thursday morning, said JoEllen Smith, spokeswoman for Ohio's prison system. He was 64. (Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction via AP)

Ohio investigators say a fellow inmate is suspected of beating to death a serial killer dubbed the "Angel of Death" inside the cell where he was serving multiple life sentences

TOLEDO, Ohio — A fellow inmate is suspected of fatally beating a serial killer dubbed the "Angel of Death" inside the cell where he was serving multiple life sentences, authorities said Friday.

No charges had been filed as of Friday afternoon and the name of the suspect hasn't been released, said Lt. Robert Sellers, a State Highway Patrol spokesman. Details about the attack won't be released until investigators take the case to a grand jury, Sellers said.

Donald Harvey, 64, died Thursday, two days after he was attacked and beaten in his prison cell. Harvey wasn't alert when he was found Tuesday at the state prison in Toledo, officials said.

An autopsy completed Friday found Harvey had several skull fractures and brain injuries and died from massive head trauma. There were no signs that a weapon was used, according to the Lucas County Coroner's office.

Harvey claimed responsibility for killing more than 50 people during the 1970s and '80s. He pleaded guilty in 1987 to killing 37 people, mostly while he worked as a nurse's aide at hospitals in Cincinnati and London, Kentucky. He later said he was responsible for killing 18 others while working at the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Cincinnati.

How many people Harvey killed will never be known. He first told his attorney after his arrest that he could only offer an estimate. He then pleaded guilty to avoid the death penalty.

Many were chronically ill patients and he claimed he was trying to end their suffering.

Harvey used arsenic and cyanide to poison most of his victims, often putting it in the hospital food he served them, prosecutors said. Some patients were suffocated when he let their oxygen tanks run out.

His crimes began in the early 1970s when he was a teen working at Marymount Hospital in Kentucky.

Twenty-one of the people Harvey killed were at the former Drake Memorial Hospital in Cincinnati, where he worked from 1986 to 1987. He was caught after a medical examiner smelled cyanide while performing an autopsy on a victim.

Editor's Picks

4 malnourished Hawaiian monk seals taken to hospital

Aug 25, 2016

Biologists say four malnourished Hawaiian monk seals have been taken from remote atolls to a Big Island hospital for the endangered animals to be fed fish and fluids to boost their weight

SpaceX Dragon returns to Earth with station science, gear

Aug 26, 2016

A SpaceX Dragon capsule is back on Earth with scientific gifts from the International Space Station

Obama creates world's largest marine protected area

Aug 26, 2016

President Barack Obama will quadruple in size a marine national monument created by President George W. Bush a decade ago

About Us

Science Buzz is a user-friendly website which concentrates on news for the Big Three: Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

Contact us: